Saturday, December 09, 2006

Is linguistics for me?

I keep wondering...
Would it be better if I took a liberal arts/literature course rather than taking up a business course? I think I feel more comfortable writing stuff then solving math problems. But why? Before I used to force myself to excel in math, to make myself believe that I am better in maths than in literature. So stupid of me, were I just tricking myself into believing something that is not true? Or......

Recently, I've been chatting with a Swedish friend. If you read my blog frequently, you would know who I'm referring to. Before I started having online friends, I was not very aware of the country Sweden. I mean, of course, I knew that it is somewhere in Europe, but I had no idea where its exact location is. Now, after seven months of chatting with this friend named Jocke, I was able to learn a lot of new things about Sweden and Scandinavia. Now I know how beautiful Sweden is. Now I know what Sweden is like. It is strange, but I've also become interested with the Swedish language. It sounds nice, truly. It sounds really foreign, but good, better than any other languages I've heard of.

I tried searching on the internet about the Swedish language. Of course, Jocke did tried to teach me some Swedish, but I feel it is not very appropriate to waste another's time in teaching me Swedish. It's not easy to learn. It was not so easy to get websites that teach basic Swedish either. Fortunately, Nikko managed to find this really good site--> http://www.ielanguages.com I got there and started reading. Wow! I saw "ä", "ö" , and "å" Cool! I didn't have the slightest idea that such characters were used in this language. Before I used to use these characters for making my text more creative LOL It looks nice I suppose, not that if you really knew the meaning of each of the letters and its pronunciation.

I've been trying hard to learn Swedish. I find it not so hard to start slowly, learning one by one, from the basics to the harder parts, if I could still manage to do so. Well, I don't know why, but I always find languages easier that maths; perhaps it is because that I only have to memorize the words, unlike math, where I have to twist and turn in my mind the fundamental stuff I've learned to solve more complicated problems.

Is linguistics for me? I'm still in a doubt, till now. I suppose it could find its place in my list of leisures... No harm done in learning a new language, is there? :D I believe I will have to continue working hard with Swedish. I have to at least know some useful basic stuff. It might help when I get the chance to visit Sweden. I must say that Scandinavia is certainly worth the visit, especially Sweden. Even if it is in the opposite side of the world, I would do all my best just to be able to get a glance of the lifestyle and people in Sweden. Good luck with my goal...:D Hej då!

3 comments:

ravenik45 said...

Hmmm... about the linguistics thing... Think about it further... Math might be hard, but someday, and somehow, it shall be useful for the benefit of society. We must be like Jocke, taking up math classes because he knows that Math is important! Hahaha

Also, learning a 7th language wouldn't hurt. There's Filipino, English, Mandarin, Fookien, some Japanese and Cantonese. It would help us communicate with Jocke!

Ja, jag vill leva, jag vill dö i Norden!

Anonymous said...

似乎你有点那个他.呵呵.最近比较糟糕.TOMMY认为我是物质的女人,因为我向他借钱.他的中国朋友(可能是那个有丈夫和孩子的那个,不知道你知道不知道那个.我估计他肯定会说的那个)说我是因为钱和他交朋友TOMMY就这么认为了,然后他说了很多过分的话(估计你知道他的性格会说什么样的话)不知道会不会跟你说我有多糟糕.总之把我说成那种我极其讨厌的女人.以我性格我没有反驳,以他的性格你也知道他总认为他是对的.总之感觉他太过分了.也不知道你会把我想成什么样子!事情也不好说.总之你要小心点.他这个人好的时候很好,过分的时候极其过分.真的.另外,他认为你喜欢他!!
take care

trduychina said...

hehe